Monday 23 June 2014

Writerly Questions

A friend and fellow writer tagged me in a blog hop so that I can answer the following questions:

  1. What is one thing you've learned about writing that you wish you knew when you started?
  2. If you could go back in time to witness one particular historical event (knowing that your presence wouldn't alter the timeline), what would you choose?
  3. If you could delete 3 words from the English language, what would they be?
  4. What is one piece of writing advice that you think is really overrated? Why?
1. I really wish I'd known the value of talking with other writers when I first started. They've encouraged me, taught me so many things, and kept me going when I wanted to give up. I'd have joined a writer's group much earlier.

2. Some of the things I'd like to see if I was companion on the TARDIS: taking a voyage with Capt Janeway, visiting the Burrows, watching the Doctor defeat the Silence... wait, you meant non-fiction historical events? I'd rather travel in fictional lands but if it has to be non-fiction, then biblical events would definitely be top of my list, or maybe First Contact, whenever that is.

3. I wouldn't get rid of any words. I may not like their meanings but we still need the words themselves to describe the ideas. I'd rather get rid of the NEED for misogynistic, racist or otherwise insulting words.

4. The most overrated writing advice: "write what you know." If everyone wrote only what they knew, we would never learn anything. That being said, I can certainly write with greater authority when I know my subject very well.


Thanks for tagging me, Christina!

http://christinavasilevski.com/blog/#sthash.lOxRscWz.dpbs

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't be sad to see the words 'moist' and 'panties' go away. lol I'm not sure what one historical event I'd like to see....there are soooo many. Maybe be in the woods in Bluff Creek, CA when Patterson & Gimlin saw Bigfoot. Or be at Dealy Plaza when JFK was shot to see where those shots really came from.

    ReplyDelete